Everyone has there own ideas on what a post race recovery week should look like and it will often come down to the individual athlete. However, there are a few things that you can do to speed up the recovery.
1. Get plenty of sleep. The body needs at least 8hrs a few nights per week to repair damaged tissues and and cells.
2. Eat well and rehydrate. This goes without saying. Good meal replenishment and rehydration and super important.
3. A light jog or a pool session in the first few days.
4. Soft tissue massage. Depending how you feel after the race you may need to wait a day or two before you get massaged.
5. Don’t sit too much. If you are stuck at a desk all day take regular breaks. Get up and walk around as much as you can.
6. Don’t get back into hard training to quickly and do extra warm up drills before your first session back.
7. I am sure I have missed a few ideas and that there are lots of other things that people find helpful after hard racing but this list should give you a few things to work on.