I have been thinking about this a lot lately. What are the best tools to maintain your body and keep it injury free? I have experimented for many years with lots of different items and gimmicks from rolled up towels, to massage sticks, heat packs, to anti inflammatory gels, thera bands to ankle straps, from angina patches to Achilles wraps, from icepacks to knee straps, from back braces to moon boots…
I have tried many “things” over the years to try and keep my body in the best possible condition and injury free. Today I use just a few basic items and I have changed my routine a little and it appears to be paying dividends.
I am pretty much injury free, as injury free as a runner can be, I am back to running close to me best for a a long time, my strength in the gym is the best its been in years and I am holding onto my lean body mass.
What have I done differently.
1. I have read and followed a lot of advise from Dr Kelly Starrett of Mobility Wod owner of Cross Fit San Francisco and author of Becoming a supple leopard. Dr Starrett prefers mobility over a lot of stretching using lacrosse balls, foam rollers and rubber power bands.
2. I use a single lacrosse ball and two lacrosse balls tapped together for spine mobility and trigger point release.
3. Rubber power bands for resistance mobility work.
4. I static stretch a lot less.
5. I prefer a progressive dynamic warm up over static stretching.
6. I use a systematic, progressive, consistent overload training model. Its really important to increase all your loads progressively especially for power athletes and sprinters.
7. And I rest when my body tells me too.